Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Long Term Potentiation

The irony does not escape me. I am using stimulants to study the molecular effects of learning and memory. They don't have a section about stimulants in this book...that's kind of disappointing. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm out of molecular and cellular neuroscience into the cognitive stuff.

I had a badass neuro prof for the last couple days. His teaching style was much better than that of Dr. Homes.

I'm in that final stretch again...and, as always, there are crisises at home that draw my attention away from finals.

Thunder and I talked about plans after graduation. I have narrowed it down to a few places that I would be willing to go to medical school: San Francisco, West Virginia, or, depending on the MCAT score I get this winter, anywhere tha accepts me. I hope for a good score so that I may be selective but...we will have to see what this winter break throws at me.

I feel confident about my neuro exam. Biochemistry is uncertain and I need to start studying for Spanish. I think that I am going to leave my tropical disease final for last...I know I'm getting an A in that class. If I kick ass in biochem and neuro then they will be B+ grades. My participation in Spanish will most likely bump me up to an A-.

The irony of adversarial learning never escapes me. I have learned a bit about the stress response and its impact on learning and memory...it's not a good system. Stress inhibits memory formation and depresses immunity and general health. Why then, do we have this stressful exam-only system of teaching science?

Again, I firmly believe that once I get into medical school this will be different. Although they still have exams, the programs and experience is completely different. The study is consistent and daily...rather than nothing/cram/nothing/cram. Hypothetically I am supposed to be studying daily but...things come up.

The appalacian girl is visiting me this break. That's something to look forward to. I've missed her company, conversation, and insights.

1 comment:

  1. Irony is thought to be detected in the backfiring of dendritic action potentials. That's something to wrap your head around. I guess mine are really firing these days.

    ReplyDelete