Saturday, June 19, 2010

One of my most anticipated discoveries in the condition of the naked ape is that of music. The calculated intentional vibration of air molecules has a startling effect on people. It is very dissimilar to that of a territorial bird, which calls for mates or to threaten off predators.

I'm just listening to this and thinking about how it makes me feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aaDQFdKzY8. Don't watch it. Seriously. The lyrics and tones should be enough to give you a picture. Something lodged in you hippocampus will break free and flood your system in an instant. For me, I think of all the people I've loved and how full my experiences have been. I don't desire. That part is silent. Instead...nostalgia comes over me.

This has been a great week. I have seen people that are closest to me in my hometown. Josh, Catalina, Mathias, my family, and a few others. It seriously makes this time more meaningful and enjoyable when I am with people that I like.

Something incredible must be said about constantly moving. You don't rust when you're running. People are excited to see you for a great night on the town and then they forget about you for a bit until your next visit.

Maybe this behavioral tendency is related to my alleged attention disorder. If I'm always jumping around then it's impossible to get bored.

Josh and I always talk about the problems of modern society and how people are handling their situations poorly...wasting their lives in front of the television and discontented marriages. Yesterday I sat for 2 hours and drank a beer while watching CSI. I felt fantastic. Nothing. Literally nothing was going through my head. I thought "this makes sense. This feels really relaxing." and I understand now why some people will pitch all concerns about the environment for a good program. The question is: is it worth the work?

Contrast is the story of my life. Last week I was losing sleep over the fact that I thought there weren't enough hours in the day. I only made one promise to myself: I will finish ishmael this week. That's it. No overarching resolutions about women or saxophone or making money and seeing friends...just a book.

I drank almost every day this week. Hung out with Corina, Janee, Travis, Jason, mom and dad, and all the animals. Today I held wires back from a giant screwmachine in the vineyard. I went out to the movies 3 nights. Once with Josh, once with Janee and Jason, and once with Ashley. Saw Clash of the Titans, Kickass, and Date Night. They were all entertaining. Ishmael is very introspective...it's awesome.

Now I'm listening to cuentame al oido. I get caught up in the accent that she has. It's melting. It reminds me of nothing. I haven't heard a voice that clear and melting in a while. The background music is tin cans and bad synth but that voice really gets you.

I should probably do something right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment