Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Daylight

I woke up to the idea of rejection, a sick feeling in my stomach, a disturbing but fun memory of last night, and anger. Daylight found me an enemy and angry at its presence.

As I walked through the city streets of New Orleans I blistered my foot and toured the places around the town. Ate lunch by the river with a homeless man. That man dragged me quickly out of the champagne problems of a disconnect in love.

I want to bring him here so I can remember him. Feeling the loneliness of the morning I walked by this man who was sitting by the pier. He was raucous but genuinely nice. We went to a seafood place and he spit his story to me. It was jolting and intense. He was a welder who was losing his sight and consequently had eye surgery. I saw the scars. He was grateful, personable, and cried when I mentioned my stint in Chicago. When he spoke about family...I didn't understand it but he was crying. He said the bottle came after but he's 59 and has nothing

I wanted this moment to happen. It gives me a sense of passion and happiness that I can help people. I love that man's spirit and I feel compassion for him. He was very thin. I just hope that, should I ever be in that situation, that someone would buy me a burger and hear my story.

Travelling. You're spitting your story so much that your mouth gets dry. You want to drink in something clean and refreshing. You discover something about yourself when you love another person. I was self-involved this morning but after that I realize that my problems are petty and that my goal is to help people. I went to the medical school afterward to take a tour.

got my head back on

No comments:

Post a Comment