Saturday, March 31, 2012

Scramble to Portugal

I'm sitting in the Lobito cafe after a long sweaty three hours of scouring Porto for someone who speaks a language in common with me. Single words get by. "Thanks" or "There?"

I got chased down by a man selling sunglasses. He said he knew the area and he spoke fluent Spanish. Unfortunately...not only didn't he know the area but he also spoke very poor Portuguese. He begged and told a story about his kid having cancer. His kid is three. He had to go to Lisbon for an operation. Consequently he needed an operation. I said I'd give him a couple euros if he pointed me in the right direction...which meant he kept following me and asking for a couple hundred euros.

He did find the street. To get him to leave me alone I said I would help him later because I'm going to Lisbon. Consequently I'd pay his ticket and go with him to see his son. He said it wasn't possible because he was going by car. A pack of oreos got him to leave me alone.

Anyways, apart from the hassle of finding my hostel the city is beautiful. Oporto means "the port" ... not the most imaginative name. The streets are similar to Spain. They are confusing, cramped and nonsensical at times, and lined with old adornments. Unlike Madrid, the streets here look like old shower tiles. It's hilly and there are a lot of seagulls. The churches and houses have a different style.

Portuguese is strange. I can pick out individual words but nothing else. If I repeat some words over and over in Spanish they understand. Sometimes they repeat words that I don't get so I just say "obreeguhto" or whatever and walk away.

The coffee I just drank was even smaller and more bitter than those in Spain. I got a massive plate of food. I have heard that prices here are much lower than Madrid but that remains to be seen.

Tom's roommate lives in this city. She said that she may be free to meet up when I'm here. Until then I'm going to take advantage of my overpriced 24 hour metro pass and try to hit as many landmarks as possible until the evening.

I am booking into the hostel as soon as I get off this.

Coming here has granted me the feeling of risk, rush, and discomfort again. The contrast is necessary to appreciate what I have.

I have hopes for this hostel. They're always nice to meet people.


1 comment:

  1. My bill was only 5.70 for more chicken than I could eat, a bock and coffee. I think I'm going to like it here.

    ReplyDelete